“We help companies identify and prioritise a portfolio of opportunities that can drive new revenue and cost savings.”
Identifying opportunities through uncertainty
Industries are undergoing an unprecedented degree of uncertainty and change. This causes challenges for many companies, but change is also an opportunity to design and implement new innovative solutions and business models.
The question many executives face is where to focus – and where not to focus – their innovation investments.
Rainmaking has developed a data driven approach to identify new business opportunities and help executives prioritise a portfolio of opportunities to double down on.
We call it Compass. Compass uses data and signals across existing and adjacent markets, the startup landscape, existing and emerging technologies and the competitive environment. With this knowledge, we produce a bespoke innovation thesis with defined business cases to build a balanced portfolio of growth-focused innovation activity.
The Opportunity Mapping (Compass) Process
Compass aims to de-risk your innovation strategy using VC & startup data to identify, assess and select the opportunity spaces that can drive significant growth (on average €500m+) for the company. Once we have established a portfolio of opportunities, we can develop a clear and defendable innovation thesis. Enabling us to build business cases along with an actionable roadmap to start developing the required capabilities.
What is driving change?
We assess what’s driving change by analysing industry challenges, emerging trends and the evolving value chain. Along with examining early signals through a Compass visualisation of market activity.
Where should we play?
We deep dive into each of the opportunity spaces identified in the first stage, assessing them by impact and feasibility. Resulting in an innovation portfolio aligned to the organisation and the future.
How should we play?
We construct an innovation thesis that balances internal and external assessment of innovation. From which we map go-to-market roles and relevant engagement options to support execution.
How can we realise this?
We deliver a number of business cases to support an execution roadmap. Followed with immediate actions to help realise the opportunities identified in the innovation thesis.
Partnering with us
- Co-create valueWe believe the best results are achieved when we work together throughout a process, leveraging the best of both organisations. We do not like supplier-buyer relationships. We want to work together with large companies as partners.
- Focus on tangible resultsWe’re not in the game of innovation theatre – we focus on creating tangible business results.
- Shared risk and rewardsWe believe in having aligned interests and sharing risks and rewards. We make this real by offering to re-invest a significant portion of fees into the next phase of pursuing opportunities identified.
A selection of Compasses we have built for a variety of industries and cross-industry topics
Meet our Team
We’re a diverse, international team, drawn from a range of backgrounds and professional disciplines. We bring a wide range of skills and interests to the work, and we share a love of seeing others develop and grow; both personally, and professionally.
- Alex FarcetPartner, Nordics
- Chris LockeCEO Aspire
- Fermin BuenoFinnovista Co-Founder & Rainmaking Partner, LATAM
- Miles SingletonStrategy Lead
- Phil RocheCEO, Europe
- Samuel HallCEO, Rainmaking APAC
How can corporate leaders confidently take informed bets that advance the innovation agenda?
Watch Online Masterclass On Demand
After speaking to 300+ executives, we have discovered the ingredients needed to successfully navigate uncertainty. We lift the lid on a proven framework that helps guide corporate leaders in defining an innovation strategy. A strategy that leads to clear execution options over the next 6-36 months, with the focus of driving measurable impact.
Here’s what you can learn:
- The key innovation challenges faced by corporate leaders
- Understanding the principles of uncertainty and the importance of innovation strategy
- How you can take advantage of early signals to navigate uncertain environments and place informed bets on future growth
- How major companies like Amazon and Lego have applied this process to become market leaders through aligning to the direction of the market
- Coca-Cola HBC partners with RainmakingCoca-Cola HBC, one of the world’s leading beverage companies, has partnered with Rainmaking Innovation, global corporate innovation and venture development firm, to launch the €100K Coca-Cola HBC HORECA Challenge.
- 200% increase in businesses cutting innovation spend during the Covid-19 crisisBerlin based Internet of Things (IoT) startup relayr, whose middleware platform is geared towards helping industrial companies unlock data insights from their existing machinery and production line kit by linking Internet connected sensors and edge devices to platform controls, has been acquired by insurance group Munich Re in a deal which values the company at $300 million.