+ Startup Engagement
IKEA wanted to collaborate with startups to address specific business problems, build strong customer relationships, and demonstrate results. There was a need to nurture and engage internal staff by exposing them more to innovation and entrepreneurship.
In less than three months. 7 startups launched a pilot together with IKEA to address business and environmental challenges in 9 markets including Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Spain, France, Netherlands, US, Canada, and Korea.
13+ startups explored future commercial collaborations with IKEA after the program concluded and 5 additional commercial collaborations were enabled on the side.
Ongoing collaboration discussions
IKEA beliefs that everyday challenges can only be solved in collaboration with the world of startups. They were looking to develop new commercial solutions to address three big problems: becoming more affordable, accessible and having a positive impact on people and planet.
A collaborative approach
from day one
In 2017 we partnered with IKEA to find startups that could improve internal processes and test new business solutions. We created IKEA Bootcamp: a three-month bespoke startup program with a dual focus on accelerating the startups and exploring formal collaboration with IKEA.
Ten teams were selected out of 1300 applications from 86 countries. More than 100 people from IKEA collaborated with the startups resulting in a commercial pilot and five other signed collaboration agreements.
Explore our accelerator programmes
IKEA Bootcamp evolves into a pilot-focussed program addressing 12 specific business challenges
At the end of Bootcamp 2017, IKEA saw great value in the program and decided to do more. This time, the retailer wanted to collaborate with startups to address specific business problems and develop solutions in areas like plastic alternatives, food waste prevention, and retail tech.
IKEA Bootcamp 2019 was a pilot-focussed program with a mix of on-site engagements at the IKEA HQ in Sweden and remotely working case-by-case on testing the collaborations. 18 startups were selected to work with IKEA.
- Create a strong position leading from our purpose
- Create a home furnishing movement
- Create a new world of IKEA in city centers
- Create the IKEA stores of tomorrow
- Create a people and planet positive movement
- Create an always-on business plan for growth
- Extreme Water-Saving Solutions
- Small Space Living
- Clean & Care
- Easy Buying, after-sales & services
- Healthy & Sustainable foods & beverages
- More circular waste streams
20 selected startups working on 10 defined challenges alongside IKEA’s intrapreneurs
In less than three months, 7 startups launched a pilot together with IKEA to address these business and environmental challenges. 13+ startups further explored future commercial collaborations with IKEA after the program concluded and 5 additional commercial collaborations were enabled on the side.
- In less than three months, we have launched seven commercial pilots to integrate impact solutions into our day to day business practices. We are in discussions with six other startups that have gone through the Bootcamp to explore future collaborations with IKEA. IKEA Bootcamp proves that better solutions come faster if we stay curious and open to the world and engage with the right partners instead of trying to solve every problem by ourselves. Bootcamp is a new way of working. For IKEA. For any innovative company.